The most effective way to get cheaper Mercury Mariner insurance in San Jose is to start comparing rates regularly from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in California.
- Try to understand how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can take to keep rates low. Many factors that result in higher rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and an imperfect credit score can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company of your decision to cancel your existing policy. Submit payment and a signed application for your new policy. Once received, store the proof of insurance paperwork with your registration paperwork.
A good tip to remember is to try to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get quotes from as many companies as possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Drivers who compare price quotes are inclined to buy a different policy because there is a good probability of finding lower rate quotes. Remarkably, a study showed that people who regularly shopped around saved on average $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding low prices for insurance is why you’re reading this, then having an understanding of how to quote and compare coverage rates can make it easier to find better rates.
If you have insurance now or just want to reduce your rates, you can use these tips to save money without reducing protection. Choosing the most cost-effective car insurance policy in San Jose is not that difficult. Smart shoppers just have to know the most effective way to compare prices instantly.
Companies offering Mercury Mariner insurance in California
The car insurance companies shown below can provide free rate quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Auto insurance analysis for a Mercury Mariner
The premium table displayed below showcases a range of insurance coverage prices for Mercury Mariner models. Having a better understanding of how insurance prices are calculated can aid in making decisions on the best policy coverages.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Mariner Premier 2WD||$296||$584||$360||$22||$108||$1,370||$114|
|Mariner Hybrid 2WD||$296||$688||$424||$26||$126||$1,560||$130|
|Mariner Premier AWD||$334||$584||$360||$22||$108||$1,408||$117|
|Mariner Hybrid AWD||$334||$688||$424||$26||$126||$1,598||$133|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location which can alter coverage rates noticeably.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Some companies don’t list the entire discount list very well, so below is a list some of the best known and the harder-to-find credits available to bring down your rates.
- San Jose Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in San Jose can get you a discount because owning a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Purchasing coverage when you have primary and secondary vehicles with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- Accident Free – San Jose drivers who stay claim-free pay less as opposed to bad drivers.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Auto/Life Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This isn’t a discount exactly, but some insurance companies may permit one accident before they charge you more for coverage so long as you haven’t had any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Despite the appearance that you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
The information below shows the difference between Mercury Mariner annual premium costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The information is based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-car, safe-driver, and claim-free discounts applied.
Popular auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide are:
- Travelers may include discounts for hybrid/electric vehicle, good student, student away at school, new car, and IntelliDrive.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, driver training, theft prevention, good student, defensive driver, and teen driver.
- State Farm includes discounts for multiple policy, student away at school, anti-theft, accident-free, and passive restraint.
- GEICO offers discounts for daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, military active duty, good student, and defensive driver.
- SAFECO offers discounts including safe driver, bundle discounts, anti-lock brakes, multi-car, accident prevention training, homeowner, and teen safety rewards.
- AAA may offer discounts for education and occupation, good driver, multi-policy, anti-theft, multi-car, good student, and AAA membership discount.
If you need lower rates, check with every company how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your area. For a list of auto insurance companies with significant discounts in California, follow this link.
Smart Consumers Know How to Find Insurance Cheaper
Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, but some are more obscure such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
Gender and insurance coverage rates – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean females are better drivers. Both genders cause accidents in similar numbers, but males cause more damage. Men also tend to receive more costly citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving.
The example below compares Mercury Mariner insurance costs for male and female drivers. The information is based on a clean driving record, no claims, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
More traffic equals higher rates – Residing in less populated areas may provide you with better prices when trying to find low car insurance rates. Residents of big cities have to deal with more road rage incidents and longer commute times. Less people means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate.
Teenagers are high risk – Older, more experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations. Youthful drivers are statistically proven to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving therefore insurance rates are much higher.
The next chart is based on a single driver, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Is your car built for speed? – The type of car you drive makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. The best insurance prices are usually for low performance passenger models, but your final cost has many other factors.
The data below is based on a married male driver age 50, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It compares Mercury Mariner insurance premiums compared to other vehicles that have different performances.
Certain employers pay higher premiums – Careers such as real estate brokers, airline pilots, and emergency personnel have higher rates than the rest of us because of job stress and incredibly demanding work hours. On the other hand, careers such as farmers, athletes and performers pay the least.
Too many insurance claims drive up premiums – Car insurance companies in California provide the best rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file claims often, you can look forward to higher rates. Your insurance policy is intended for larger claims.
Obey driving laws and save – Drivers with clean records have lower premiums as compared to those with violations. Only having one citation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Drivers who get serious citations such as DUI or willful reckless driving may find that they have to to maintain a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
The example below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents drive up Mercury Mariner car insurance rates for each different age category. The information is based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Rate your vehicle for proper use – The higher the miles on your Mercury annually the higher your rate. A lot of companies charge to insure your cars based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles left parked in the garage receive better premium rates compared to those used for work or business. Incorrect rating for your Mariner may be wasting your money. It’s a good idea to make sure your vehicle rating properly reflects the right rating data, because it can save money.
Exclusive versus independent insurance agents
Many drivers just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and we recommend doing that Professional agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find better rates and still choose a local agent.
By using this quick form, the coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in San Jose that can give you free San Jose car insurance quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you would need to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurer requires more thought than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in San Jose?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
If you want to use an insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance agencies can either be exclusive or independent. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they are different because it may have an impact on your selection of an agent.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below are San Jose exclusive insurance agents who may provide you with price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you will want to check rates from independent agents for the best price selection.
Listed below is a list of independent agencies in San Jose willing to provide rate quotes.
A little work can save a LOT of money
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, drivers have reduced full coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the lowest possible cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to reduce Mercury Mariner insurance premium rates online in San Jose. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the best premium rates are with a small mutual company. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
To read more, take a look at the following helpful articles:
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for High School Students in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Teenagers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)