The car, truck, or SUV you are seeking coverage for is probably the largest consideration when consumers are trying to find economical insurance for teenagers. Vehicles with limited speed and performance, a plethora of safety features, or low incidents of liability claims will cost less to insure than adrenaline junky models.
The next list features insurance rates for a number of the most economical automobiles to insure.
|Make and Model||Estimated Cost for Full Coverage|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$4,192|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$4,202|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$4,192|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$4,488|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$4,716|
|Dodge Grand Caravan SE||$4,725|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 4WD||$4,716|
|Toyota Tacoma 2WD||$4,933|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$4,942|
|Honda Odyssey EX||$4,933|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$4,973|
|Chevrolet Malibu LT||$5,012|
|Start Your Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single male driver age 16, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, and claim-free. Information does not factor in San Jose, CA location which can modify coverage prices significantly.
Looking at the numbers, we can assume that makes and models like the Honda CR-V, Honda Accord, Ford Escape, Hyundai Elantra, and Toyota Prius are a few of the most economical vehicles to insure for teen drivers. Prices will be more expensive because of the fact that there is a higher risk for teenagers, but generally speaking those particular vehicles will have the lowest insurance rates available.
For teen drivers, one of the big components that determine the annual cost of car insurance is where you call home in San Jose. Cities with more crime and/or more people tend to have higher rates, whereas areas with less crime or weather claims benefit from lower coverage costs.
The information below rates the priciest cities in California for teenagers to buy car insurance in. San Jose is ranked at #18 with a yearly cost of $1,437 for coverage, which is approximately $120 monthly.
|Find the Best Rates Go|
Table data uses approximated as vehicle location can alter insurance rates significantly.
The information below illustrates how your choice of deductibles can influence insurance premiums when trying to find cheap insurance for teenagers. The data is based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
As shown above, a 50-year-old driver could lower their policy premium by $428 a year by switching from a $100 deductible to a $500 deductible, or save $648 by changing to a $1,000 deductible. Even younger insureds, like the Age 20 chart data, could potentially save as much as $1,434 or more by choosing a larger deductible amount. If you do make the decision to raise your deductibles, it is important to have additional savings on hand to allow you to pay the extra out-of-pocket expense, which is the one disadvantage of using larger deductibles.
Discount San Jose insurance rates
Insurers that offer quotes for teenagers may have rate discounts that could lower prices by 35% or more if you meet the requirements. Larger car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for driver’s education, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, good student, and student away at school.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for good student, alternative fuel, homeowner, teen driver, multi-car, pay in full, and bundle discounts.
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
- GEICO discounts include daytime running lights, seat belt use, anti-theft, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, good student, and anti-lock brakes.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, good student, air bags, and group or association.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, good student, anti-theft, bundle, driver training, and air bag.
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, safe driver, youthful driver, 55 and retired, multi-vehicle, renewal discount, and good student.
- USAA may have discounts that include vehicle storage, multi-vehicle, family discount, military installation, loyalty savings, safe driver, and annual mileage.
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of auto insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premiums are based on a male driver, no violations or accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows the average rate with no discounts. The second bar shows the rates with continuous coverage, vehicle safety, passive restraint, anti-theft, paperless filing, and good student discounts applied. In this example, the average amount saved each year on car insurance for teenagers is 28% or $918.
How to find budget-friendly auto insurance for teenagers
The list below details many penny-pinching ideas that can help California drivers quote cheaper coverage.
- Higher physical damage deductibles lower rates
- Maintain a clean driving record
- Being accident-free can lower rates significantly
- Claim-free drivers earn discounts
- Remove physical damage coverage on older vehicles
- Look for cheaper rates once a year by shopping around
That last piece of advice is very crucial, as we stressed in this piece. Prices charged by car insurance companies fluctuate constantly, so don’t hesitate to switch carriers if a lower-cost policy is available.
We understand brand loyalty, but it’s not a good idea if your bullheadedness ends up costing you lots of money. If you have a few minutes, shop around and find cheaper car insurance for teenagers in San Jose.
If you would rather have a professional recommendation when comparing insurance rates for teen drivers, the insurance agencies below can probably provide answers to your questions and help you determine which coverages you need.
To find a San Jose insurance agency closest to you, click the button at the bottom of the list.
- Filice Insurance Agency
738 N 1st St – San Jose, CA 95112 – (408) 350-5700
- Farmers Insurance
1080 Minnesota Ave # 4 – San Jose, CA 95125 – (408) 294-4348
- Donald Browne Insurance Services
330 W Hedding St #207 – San Jose, CA 95110 – (408) 292-4329
- Allstate Insurance: Phuong Tran
510 N 1st St Ste 224 – San Jose, CA 95112 – (408) 993-9898
- Farmers Insurance – Jeff Senigaglia
950 S Bascom Ave #2113 – San Jose, CA 95128 – (408) 297-6686