Truthfully, the best way to get the cheapest Toyota 4Runner insurance is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers in San Jose.
- First, spend some time learning about how companies price auto insurance and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates like accidents, traffic tickets, and a low credit score can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives ideas to prevent high prices and earn larger discounts.
- Second, compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates now
- Third, compare the new rates to your existing rates to determine if you can save on 4Runner insurance. If you can save money and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, notify your company or agent to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application for your new coverage. Make sure you keep your new proof of insurance paperwork in your glove compartment.
An important note is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to get rate quotes from every company you can. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Unbelievable but true according to a study the vast majority of insurance customers in California have purchased from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. Most drivers in the U.S. can cut their rates by $860 a year just by shopping around, but they just don't want to find cheaper insurance rates.
Keep in mind that comparing more rates from different companies will enable you to find the best rates.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Insurance statistics for a Toyota 4Runner
The coverage information shown below outlines detailed analysis of coverage prices for Toyota 4Runner models. Having insight into how policy premiums are formulated is important for drivers to make informed coverage decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|4Runner Sport 2WD||$370||$554||$424||$26||$128||$1,502||$125|
|4Runner SR/5 2WD||$370||$672||$424||$26||$128||$1,620||$135|
|4Runner Sport 4WD||$370||$672||$424||$26||$128||$1,620||$135|
|4Runner SR/5 4WD||$370||$672||$424||$26||$128||$1,620||$135|
|4Runner Trail Edition 4WD||$412||$792||$424||$26||$128||$1,782||$149|
|4Runner Limited 2WD||$412||$792||$424||$26||$128||$1,782||$149|
|4Runner Limited 4WD||$412||$792||$424||$26||$128||$1,782||$149|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in zip code location which can raise or lower auto insurance rates substantially.
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can change Toyota 4Runner insurance costs for each age group. The information is based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Cautious drivers save money
The chart below demonstrates how citations and at-fault collisions increase Toyota 4Runner insurance costs for different age groups. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Gender-based insurance rates
The chart below shows the difference between Toyota 4Runner insurance premiums for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The example below shows the difference between Toyota 4Runner auto insurance rates when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, $100 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no exact formula of when to exclude full coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let's say your Toyota 4Runner replacement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $4,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying more than $400 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are some circumstances where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage.
Informed Drivers Save Money
Many things are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, although others are more transparent like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are.
The itemized list below are some of the items that factor into your prices.
Costs go up with performance - The make and model of the car, truck or SUV you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in your auto insurance rates. Lower cost passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
The data below is based on a married female driver age 30, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The chart compares Toyota 4Runner insurance premiums compared to other vehicles that have a range of performances.
Rural vs Urban Areas - Being located in small towns and rural areas has definite advantages when it comes to insurance. People who live in big cities have to deal with more auto accidents and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents and a lower car theft rate.
Allowing your insurance to lapse raises prices - Letting your insurance expire is a sure-fire way to increase your renewal premiums. Not only will rates go up, not being able to provide proof of insurance may result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may then have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department.
Expect high rates for teens - Teen drivers in California are statistically shown to be inattentive with other occupants in the car and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a teen driver to your insurance policy can increase premiums substantially. Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
The next chart uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
What are good liability insurance limits? - The liability coverage on your policy will afford coverage if a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
Having a spouse can lower premiums - Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your insurance policy. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more stable financially and it's statistically proven that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Toyota 4Runner claim probability - Auto insurance companies analyze historical claim data to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Models that the data determines to have increased losses will have a higher cost to insure. The table below shows the historical loss data for Toyota 4Runner vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together is considered to be 100. Values under 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate more frequent claims or statistically larger losses.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Toyota 4Runner 4dr 2WD||75||92||83||76||66||75|
|Toyota 4Runner 4dr 4WD||78||88||110||67||59||74|
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Toyota in San Jose, maintaining insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability insurance coverage if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Toyota 4Runner, it's most likely the lender will require you to have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your Toyota 4Runner and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. An average driver in America is wasting up to $810 a year so shop around once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.