If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to do a yearly price comparison from companies in San Jose. Price quotes can be compared by following these guidelines.
- First, read and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that cause high rates like inattentive driving and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by paying attention to minor details.
- Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for many different companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company to cancel your current policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you can, keep the new proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of this process is to use identical deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to analyze as many companies as possible. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
It’s well known that car insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Consumers who shop around will presumably buy a different policy because there is a great chance of finding a lower rate. A recent survey revealed that people who regularly compared rates saved over $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding low prices for car insurance is your objective, then having an understanding of how to get rate quotes and compare insurance rates can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
Reducing your insurance rates is an easy way to save money. Drivers just need to take time comparing free San Jose auto insurance quotes from different insurance companies.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in California. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Auto insurance rates and discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you may qualify for discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain reductions will be credited when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be asked for before you get the savings.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Claim-free drivers can save substantially as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
- Driver Training Discounts – Successfully completing a course teaching driver safety skills could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Insuring multiple vehicles with the same auto insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Organization Discounts – Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company you could save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Federal Government Employee – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Teen drivers should enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Telematics Data – Policyholders that allow their auto insurance company to study driving patterns by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction if they show good driving skills.
We need to note that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- GEICO offers discounts for military active duty, air bags, five-year accident-free, multi-policy, federal employee, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- USAA policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, vehicle storage, multi-vehicle, safe driver, and annual mileage.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, good student, online signing, and homeowner.
- American Family offers premium reductions for defensive driver, early bird, TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, air bags, bundled insurance, and good student.
- Esurance includes discounts for multi-policy, renters, multi-car, good driver, and homeowner.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for distant student, business and professional, multi-car, youthful driver, and electronic funds transfer.
- State Farm may have discounts that include student away at school, anti-theft, good student, passive restraint, multiple autos, and safe vehicle.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every company to apply every possible discount. Savings may not apply in San Jose. To view providers that offer the discounts shown above in California, click here.
Why car insurance is not optional
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Suzuki has a loan, almost all lenders will require that you have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Suzuki at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Suzuki. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your Suzuki gets damaged, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying car insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. An average driver in America overpays more than $855 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at every policy renewal to save money.
Buying insurance from San Jose insurance agencies
Many people prefer to sit down with an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Most agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper prices but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in San Jose who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to contact an agency because prices are sent straight to your inbox. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific insurance provider, you can always navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Picking an company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Is the agency active in community causes in San Jose?
If you’re trying to find local San Jose agents, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can write your policy. Insurance agents are either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both write policy coverage, but it’s important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact your agent selection.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on what they offer which helps them sell on service rather than price. Many people use the same agent mainly due to the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
The following are San Jose exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide price quotes.
- GEICO Insurance Agent
2195 Monterey Rd #20 – San Jose, CA 95125 – (408) 286-4342 – View Map
- Frank Kachkouche – State Farm Insurance Agent
901 S White Rd – San Jose, CA 95127 – (408) 923-2073 – View Map
- Al Olseen – State Farm Insurance Agent
3267 S White Rd – San Jose, CA 95148 – (408) 274-4900 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies do not write with just one company and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part. If you need lower rates, you definitely need to get rate quotes from a few independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most also have access to additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper insurance rates.
Below are independent agencies in San Jose willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Khalsa Insurance Agency
3750 McKee Rd A – San Jose, CA 95127 – (408) 272-2500 – View Map
- Filice Insurance Agency
738 N 1st St – San Jose, CA 95112 – (408) 350-5700 – View Map
- Taylor Benefits Insurance Agency
4820 Harwood Rd #130 – San Jose, CA 95124 – (408) 358-7502 – View Map