Are you drained from sacrificing other expenses to buy car insurance? You have the same problem as many other California drivers.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of consumers have remained with the same car insurance company for well over three years, and just under half have never even compared quotes to find cheap rates. Many drivers in the United States could pocket nearly $860 a year just by comparing rates, but most just don't grasp the rate savings if they just switched companies.
How to save on Saturn VUE insurance in San Jose
If you want to save money, the best way to find more affordable car insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from insurers that insure vehicles in San Jose.
- Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how auto insurance works and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices such as inattentive driving and an imperfect credit history can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Continue reading for additional ideas to prevent rate hikes and find additional discounts.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for many different companies. Select a company
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing rates and determine if cheaper VUE coverage is available. If you can save money, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application for the new coverage. Immediately upon receiving it, keep the new certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle's glove compartment or console.
A valuable tip to remember is to make sure you enter the same level of coverage on every price quote and to quote with all possible companies. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and the best rate selection.
You have multiple auto insurance companies to buy insurance from, and although it's nice to have multiple companies, lots of choices makes it harder to locate the cheapest rates for Saturn VUE insurance in San Jose.
Choosing the best insurance company for you in San Jose is really quite easy. In essence, every driver who is required to buy car insurance most likely will find a lower-cost policy. Nevertheless, California car owners benefit from understanding the way insurance companies market insurance on the web.
San Jose auto insurance discounts
Car insurance companies do not list the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains both the well known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy San Jose auto insurance online. If you aren't receiving every discount possible, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Passive Restraint Discount - Factory air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Multiple Policy Discount - If you can bundle your home and auto insurance and place coverage with the same company they may give you a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Seat Belts Save - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Responsible Drivers - Drivers who don't get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Payment Method - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time as opposed to paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
It's important to note that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, you're out of luck.
The example below shows the comparison of Saturn VUE auto insurance rates with and without policy discounts. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, claim-free, marriage, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-car discounts applied.
A list of auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- GEICO offers discounts for multi-vehicle, defensive driver, five-year accident-free, military active duty, and driver training.
- Mercury Insurance offers premium reductions for location of vehicle, multi-car, good student, professional/association, low natural disaster claims, ease of repair, and annual mileage.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include alternative fuel, pay in full, distant student, youthful driver, teen driver, and bundle discounts.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for paid in full, anti-lock brakes, company car, multiple vehicles, multi-policy, and mature driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including new vehicle discount, good student, exclusive group savings, preferred payment discount, teen driver discount, and hybrid vehicle.
- SAFECO discounts include safe driver, drive less, homeowner, multi-car, and anti-lock brakes.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, good student, and online signing.
- USAA has savings for defensive driver, military installation, loyalty savings, new vehicle, safe driver, and annual mileage.
If you want inexpensive San Jose auto insurance quotes, ask each company which credits you are entitled to. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not apply in your state. To find companies who offer online Saturn VUE insurance quotes in California, click this link.
Most companies give coverage prices on their websites. Getting online rates for Saturn VUE insurance in San Jose is possible for anyone as you simply type in the coverages you want on the page. When the form is submitted, the company's rating system automatically retrieves your credit score and driving record and generates pricing information. Getting online rate quotes for Saturn VUE insurance in San Jose streamlines rate comparisons, and it's very important to have as many quotes as possible if you want to get cheap insurance pricing.
If you want to find out what other companies charge, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you type in the coverage information identical to your current policy. Doing this guarantees you will be getting comparison quotes using the same coverage and limits.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in San Jose, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you click on several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Saturn VUE insurance rate analysis
The data table displayed below outlines a range of insurance coverage prices for Saturn VUE models. Being able to understand how insurance premiums are formulated can aid in making smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Vue XE 2WD||$372||$648||$534||$32||$160||$1,746||$146|
|Vue XR 2WD||$372||$790||$534||$32||$160||$1,888||$157|
|Vue XR-L 2WD||$420||$790||$534||$32||$160||$1,936||$161|
|Vue XR AWD||$420||$790||$534||$32||$160||$1,936||$161|
|Vue XR-L AWD||$420||$930||$534||$32||$160||$2,076||$173|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and claim-free. Price estimates do not factor in San Jose location which can modify prices considerably.
The chart below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can increase or decrease Saturn VUE insurance rates for different age groups. The premiums assume a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Safe drivers San Jose pay cheaper rates
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and fender-benders raise Saturn VUE insurance premiums for each age group. The premiums are based on a single male driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Male drivers compared to female drivers
The diagram below compares Saturn VUE insurance prices for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no claims, a clean driving record, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Liability only or full coverage
The chart below shows the comparison of Saturn VUE insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The rate quotes are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no definitive formula that works best for making the decision to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of full coverage is about 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's say your Saturn VUE claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $5,000 after the deductible is paid. If premiums are more than $500 annually for your policy with full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some conditions where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage in place.
Smart Consumers Save More
Many things are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but some are less apparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that go into determining auto insurance rates. If you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower premium levels.
When should you not file a auto insurance claims? - Companies in California give better rates to people who are claim-free. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
No auto insurance policy gaps is important - Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a quick way to bump up your auto insurance costs. Not only will you pay higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance could earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
Add-on coverages you don't need - There are a lot of additional coverages you can purchase but may not be useful. Insurance for things like rental car reimbursement, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem good when discussing your needs, but if you've never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
Liability coverage safeguards assets - The liability section of your policy will afford coverage if you are responsible for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. Liability is cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
Teen drivers are expensive to insure - Youthful drivers in California are known to be easily distracted behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a beginning driver onto a policy can really hurt. More mature drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, tend to cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable.
The chart below uses these assumptions: single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
How to know if you need help
When buying coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone's situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Does coverage follow the driver or the vehicle?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Am I covered by my spouse's policy after a separation?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Does my Saturn VUE qualify for pleasure use?
- How much liability insurance is required?
If you can't answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Do I need a local insurance agent?
Certain consumers still like to go talk to an agent and that is OK! One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this simple form, your coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in San Jose who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to your email. You'll get the best rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to quote rates for a specific company, you just need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Picking the best insurer should include more criteria than just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
Car insurance is not optional
Despite the potentially high cost of Saturn VUE insurance, paying for car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Saturn VUE has a lienholder, almost all lenders will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Saturn at a much higher rate and make you pay the higher price.
- Insurance protects both your Saturn VUE and your personal assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. As of last year, the average driver in California overpays as much as $825 a year so compare rate quotes once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Shop around and save
We just presented a lot of ways to lower your Saturn VUE insurance rates in San Jose. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding low cost San Jose auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. They can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Cheaper auto insurance in San Jose can be sourced on the web and also from your neighborhood San Jose agents, so you need to shop San Jose auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not provide rate quotes online and many times these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agencies.
How to find the cheapest rates for Saturn VUE insurance in San Jose
The most effective way to find lower priced car insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from insurance carriers in San Jose.
- First, try to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that increase rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a poor credit rating can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Second, compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your existing coverage and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One thing to remember is to use similar limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to analyze every company you can. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for 16 Year Olds in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Homeowners in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)