The best way we recommend to quote cheaper Ford Fiesta insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from different companies in San Jose.
- Take a little time to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like inattentive driving and poor credit history can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices from many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to determine if you can save on Fiesta insurance in San Jose. If you find a better price and change companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your agent or company to cancel the current policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new policy. Don't forget to keep the new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle.
One important bit of advice is to use identical deductibles and limits on each quote request and and to get rates from as many companies as possible. This provides a fair price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Unbelievable but true according to a study a large majority of car insurance policyholders kept their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. San Jose drivers could save an average of $500 each year by just shopping around, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to compare rates online.
If you are already insured, you should be able to get lower rates using the ideas you're about to read. Finding the cheapest auto insurance coverage in San Jose can initially seem challenging. But California drivers do need to understand how the larger insurance companies sell online and use it to find better rates.
Companies offer money-saving discounts on Ford Fiesta insurance in San Jose
Auto insurance companies don't necessarily list their entire list of discounts very well, so we researched some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits available to bring down your rates.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking time to complete a defensive driving course may get you a small discount and make you a better driver.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car model can get you a discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Multi-line Discount - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a break if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Driver Education Discount - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver's ed class in school.
- Drive Less and Save - Low annual miles can qualify you for discounted car insurance rates on garaged vehicles.
- Driving Data Discount - San Jose drivers who agree to allow data collection to track where and when they drive by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may get a rate reduction as long as the data is positive.
- Resident Student - Kids who are attending college and leave their car at home may qualify for this discount.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn't work that way.
A few popular companies and some of the discounts include:
- American Family offers premium reductions for early bird, multi-vehicle, Steer into Savings, air bags, and accident-free.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, youthful driver, good student, multi-policy, driver training, safe driver, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm has savings for Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, accident-free, good driver, driver's education, multiple policy, and anti-theft.
- Travelers offers discounts for student away at school, good student, continuous insurance, hybrid/electric vehicle, and early quote.
- The Hartford has discounts for driver training, anti-theft, good student, bundle, and vehicle fuel type.
- GEICO offers discounts including good student, five-year accident-free, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive may include discounts for good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online quote discount, homeowner, and online signing.
If you are trying to find affordable Ford Fiesta insurance quotes, ask every company which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts may not be available in your area. To choose providers that offer discounts in San Jose, click here.
Auto insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of your policy aids in choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. These are typical coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Collision coverage protection
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Fiesta from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims like colliding with a tree, hitting a parking meter, hitting a mailbox and backing into a parked car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. It's also possible to increase the deductible on your Fiesta to bring the cost down.
Medical expense insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for immediate expenses like hospital visits, doctor visits, surgery, nursing services and EMT expenses. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
This pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like hail damage, hitting a bird and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to other's property or people. It protects you against claims from other people. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see liability limits of 15/30/5 that translate to a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for claims like attorney fees, medical services and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but buy as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The chart below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when the "other guys" do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Ford Fiesta.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Most of the time these limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Quote often and quote early
The cheapest Ford Fiesta insurance in San Jose is possible from both online companies and from local agencies, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies do not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell through local independent agencies.
As you shop your coverage around, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for 4x4 Vehicles in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Jose Auto Insurance Quotes for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- How Much is San Jose Auto Insurance for First-time Drivers? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)