Did budget coverage turn out to be an expensive car insurance policy? It’s a common feeling and you’re not the only one.
Everyone knows that car insurance companies don’t want you to look for cheaper rates. Insureds who shop around for cheaper prices will probably switch to a new company because there is a good chance of getting low-cost coverage. A recent survey found that consumers who compared rates once a year saved $865 annually as compared to drivers who never shopped around.
If finding the most affordable car insurance in San Jose is the reason you’re reading this, then having some insight into how to shop for cheaper coverage can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
How to find affordable Saab 9-5 insurance in San Jose
The best way we recommend to get the cheapest Saab 9-5 insurance in San Jose is to compare quotes once a year from insurers who can sell car insurance in California.
- Take a little time to learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that drive up the price like accidents, traffic tickets, and a substandard credit score can be controlled by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for ideas to help keep rates affordable and get bigger discounts.
- Request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies. Compare rates now
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is to try to compare similar coverage information on every quote request and and to look at every insurance company. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
Companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive constantly blast consumers with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to ignore the propaganda and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you already have coverage or just want cheaper rates, you can use these techniques to lower your rates without reducing coverage. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in San Jose can be much easier if you know how to start. Smart shoppers only need to know the most efficient way to find the lowest price from many different companies.
How much does Saab 9-5 insurance in San Jose, California cost?
The companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in California. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Saab 9-5 insurance statistics and information
The information shown below outlines estimates of insurance rates for Saab 9-5 models. Learning a little about how insurance prices are figured is important for you to make decisions when shopping your coverage around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|9-5 Aero XWD 4-Dr Sedan||$406||$910||$500||$30||$150||$1,996||$166|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in garaging location in San Jose which can impact premiums greatly.
The information below illustrates how your deductible choice and can affect Saab 9-5 insurance rates for different age groups. The prices are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Careless drivers pay higher rates
The chart below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault accidents can influence Saab 9-5 premium costs for different age groups. The data is based on a single female driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Auto insurance rates by age and gender
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Saab 9-5 premium costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on a clean driving record, no claims, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The chart below shows the difference between Saab 9-5 yearly insurance costs with and without full coverage. The premiums assume no accidents or driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There isn’t a steadfast formula of when to phase out physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Saab 9-5 claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $5,000 after paying your deductible. If premium cost is more than $500 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in San Jose, maintaining insurance serves several important purposes.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Saab 9-5, almost every bank will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Saab at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Car insurance preserves not only your car but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially with large liability claims. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying over $800 each year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
These eight discounts can lower your car insurance quotes
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but you may be missing some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied prior to getting the savings.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a course in defensive driver could cut 5% off your bill and also improve your driving technique.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but certain companies will forgive one accident without getting socked with a rate hike with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Payment Method – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying in monthly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings as much as 30%.
- Drivers Education – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to participate in a local driver’s education class in high school.
- Good Student Discount – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Buy New and Save – Buying car insurance coverage on a new vehicle may earn a small discount because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way.
The chart below illustrates the difference between Saab 9-5 insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The rates are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, marriage, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-car discounts applied.
A list of car insurance companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- GEICO has discounts for driver training, daytime running lights, membership and employees, defensive driver, multi-policy, seat belt use, and air bags.
- SAFECO offers discounts including anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, homeowner, safe driver, and bundle discounts.
- State Farm may have discounts that include driver’s education, multiple policy, defensive driving training, good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and Drive Safe & Save.
- MetLife includes discounts for good driver, claim-free, accident-free, defensive driver, and good student.
- 21st Century offers premium reductions for early bird, anti-lock brakes, driver training, student driver, theft prevention, teen driver, and automatic seat belts.
- Progressive may offer discounts for good student, online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and online signing.
If you want affordable Saab 9-5 insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered in San Jose. If you would like to view insurers that offer multiple discounts in San Jose, click here.
When to have guidance from a local insurance agent
Some consumers still like to have an agent’s advice and doing so can bring peace of mind Insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help you file claims. The best thing about comparing auto insurance online is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying insurance from local insurance agents is especially important in San Jose.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to insurance agents in San Jose who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. There is no need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Exclusive and independent San Jose car insurance agents
If you would like to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are a couple of different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Auto insurance policy providers can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either type can sell auto insurance policies, but it is important to understand the differences since it could factor into which agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents can sell policies from many different companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If they find a cheaper price, your policy is moved internally which is easy for the insured.
If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you should always get quotes from multiple independent agents to have the best price comparison.
The following is a small list of independent insurance agents in San Jose that can possibly get you rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel work for only one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below are San Jose exclusive insurance agents that can give you price quotes.
Dick Alesch – State Farm Insurance Agent
164 N Bascom Ave a – San Jose, CA 95128 – (408) 918-0877 – View Map
Finding the right insurance agency should include more criteria than just the premium amount. Some important questions to ask are:
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Where are claims handled?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
Upon receiving reasonable responses for all questions you ask as well as affordable Saab 9-5 insurance rates in San Jose quotes, you may have found an insurance agent that meets your needs to properly service your auto insurance policy.
Car insurance 101
Learning about specific coverages of a auto insurance policy aids in choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Auto insurance terms can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are typical coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Coverage for liability
Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people in an accident. This insurance protects YOU against claims from other people. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see liability limits of 15/30/5 which stand for a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for things like loss of income, legal defense fees, pain and suffering and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but buy as large an amount as possible. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be enough.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Saab 9-5.
Due to the fact that many California drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
This coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like hitting a deer, falling objects, fire damage and damage from flooding. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for bills for EMT expenses, rehabilitation expenses, prosthetic devices, funeral costs and pain medications. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
This pays for damage to your 9-5 resulting from a collision with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things like hitting a mailbox, damaging your car on a curb, crashing into a ditch and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible on your 9-5 to save money on collision insurance.
Insurance savings summarized
Lower-priced Saab 9-5 insurance in San Jose is definitely available on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not have the ability to get quotes online and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies.
In this article, we presented many tips how you can lower your Saab 9-5 insurance rates in San Jose. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting cheaper San Jose car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best rates are with a small mutual company. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
How to find more affordable Saab 9-5 insurance in San Jose
The easiest way to find discount car insurance rates in San Jose is to compare prices once a year from insurance carriers in California.
Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and poor credit history can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide prices from many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Notify your current company of your decision to cancel the current policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application for your new coverage. Once received, safely store the certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One important bit of advice is to make sure you’re comparing the same amount of coverage on each quote and and to get quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees an accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
More information is located below:
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Equinox in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for 4×4 Vehicles in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Jose Car Insurance for Low Income Drivers? (FAQ)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)