It’s hard to fathom, but the vast majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for at least four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Many drivers in the United States could save roughly 46.5% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most undervalue how much savings they would realize if they switched.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get affordable Dodge Caliber insurance is to regularly compare quotes from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in San Jose.
- Step 1: Read and learn about coverages and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that cause high rates such as inattentive driving and a bad credit score can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article gives more information to help reduce premium rates and get bigger discounts.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your existing policy. Submit the application along with any required down payment for the new policy. Once the application is submitted, safely store the proof of insurance certificate with your vehicle’s registration.
A tip to remember is to use identical deductibles and limits on every quote and and to compare all possible companies. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Locating the lowest-priced protection in San Jose is not as difficult as people think. If you have coverage now or are looking for a new policy, you can use these tips to find better prices while maximizing coverage. Shoppers just have to use the quickest way to buy car insurance instantly.
The car insurance companies shown below offer comparison quotes in California. If several companies are displayed, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Verify you’re receiving every discount
Auto insurance companies don’t always list all discounts very clearly, so we break down a few of the more common and the more hidden credits available to you.
- Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Claim-Free Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims pay much less as opposed to frequent claim filers.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you combine your homeowners and auto policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying a new car model can save you some money because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate permit an accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Online Discount – A few larger online companies will provide an incentive for signing up over the internet.
You can save money using discounts, but most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
The example below illustrates the difference between Dodge Caliber car insurance rates with and without discounts applied. The prices are based on a male driver, no violations or accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
A partial list of companies that possibly offer these money-saving discounts are:
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts may not apply to policies in your area. To view insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in California, click this link.
Insurance coverage analysis
The rate table shown next showcases a range of rate quotes for Dodge Caliber models. Being more informed about how auto insurance policy rates are calculated can benefit drivers when making informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location information which can change premium rates significantly.
The chart below shows how choosing a deductible and can impact Dodge Caliber insurance prices for different ages of insureds. The premiums assume a married female driver, full coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Gender differences in insurance premiums
The example below compares Dodge Caliber annual premium costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes no accidents, no driving violations, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no other discounts are factored in.
How Your Caliber Insurance Rates are Determined
Many factors are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but some are less apparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
Premiums may be higher where you live – Being located in a small town can save you money when talking about auto insurance. City drivers have to deal with more aggressive driving styles and more time behind the wheel. Lower population translates into fewer accident claims and a lower car theft rate.
Lower premiums for vehicles with better crash test results – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. These vehicles protect occupants better and reduced instances of injuries means less claims paid and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Dodge has at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
Always have auto insurance – Allowing your coverage to lapse will be a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Good credit means lower rates – Having a bad credit score can be an important factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit history is not that good, you could pay less to insure your Dodge Caliber by improving your rating. Insureds that have excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings.
Don’t abuse claims – If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance companies in California award discounts to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. Your car insurance is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Drive fewer miles and save – The higher the mileage driven in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles that are left in the garage can get a lower rate than cars that get driven a lot. Incorrect rating for your Caliber is just wasting money. Make sure your auto insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage.
Incidental coverages are wasting money – There are quite a few extra coverages that may not really be needed if you aren’t diligent. Coverages like roadside assistance, death and dismemberment, and membership fees are examples of these. They may seem good when talking to your agent, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so think about removing them and cutting costs.
What are good liability insurance limits? – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage kicks in if you are responsible for damages caused by your negligence. Liability provides legal defense coverage to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so do not cut corners here.
When to get advice from an insurance agent
Some people still like to talk to a local agent and that can be a smart move Good insurance agents can help you build your policy and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still have a local agent. Buying insurance from local agencies is especially important in San Jose.
After completing this quick form, your information is transmitted to participating agents in San Jose who will gladly provide quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
When narrowing the list to find a local agent, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they work. Insurance agencies in San Jose may be either exclusive or independent. Either can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to point out the differences since it can affect the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand and that enables them to quote your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and find you the best rates. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing auto insurance rates, we highly recommend that you get rate quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection. Most have the option of insuring with companies that do not advertise much which can save you money.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in San Jose that can give you competitive price quotes.
- All Coverage Insurance Agency
3033 Moorpark Ave #27 – San Jose, CA 95128 – (408) 244-9100 – View Map
- Casey Nguyen Insurance Agency, Inc.
1639 Meridian Ave a – San Jose, CA 95125 – (408) 286-4467 – View Map
- All Solutions Insurance – San Jose
574 Blossom Hill Rd – San Jose, CA 95123 – (408) 225-4300 – View Map
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. These agents are not able to provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents mainly due to loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Listed below are exclusive agencies in San Jose willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Jim Edington – State Farm Insurance Agent
361 Piercy Rd – San Jose, CA 95138 – (408) 225-2463 – View Map
- Frank Kachkouche – State Farm Insurance Agent
901 S White Rd – San Jose, CA 95127 – (408) 923-2073 – View Map
- GEICO Insurance Agent
2195 Monterey Rd #20 – San Jose, CA 95125 – (408) 286-4342 – View Map
Finding a good auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just the price. Any agent in San Jose should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- If they are an independent agency in San Jose, which companies do they recommend?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in San Jose?
Cover all your bases
People switch companies for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, not issuing a premium refund or even being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company can be less work than you think.
You just learned many ways to find lower-cost Dodge Caliber insurance in San Jose. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company.
Cheaper Dodge Caliber insurance in San Jose can be purchased both online and from local insurance agents, so you need to quote San Jose auto insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers don’t offer online quoting and these regional carriers only sell through local independent agencies.
More tips and info about car insurance can be read by following these links:
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Jose Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Under 21 in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)