Anyone knows that auto insurance companies don't want you to look for cheaper rates. Insureds who shop for lower rates are very likely to move their business because there is a great chance of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. A recent study showed that people who compared rate quotes regularly saved approximately $3,450 over four years compared to people who don't regularly compare prices.
If finding the lowest price on insurance is the reason you're here, then having some insight into how to find and compare coverage rates can make it easier to find better rates.
The best way we recommend to get affordable Cadillac ATS insurance is to start comparing prices regularly from insurers in San Jose.
- Try to learn a little about how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that increase rates such as traffic violations and a less-than-favorable credit history can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. Read the full article for more information to get cheaper rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save money, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the completed application along with a down payment for the new policy. When you receive it, safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
An important part of this process is to try to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to compare as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure a fair price comparison and a thorough price selection.
If you are insured now or are shopping for new coverage, use these tips to get lower rates without reducing coverage. Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in San Jose is actually quite easy if you know where to start. You only need an understanding of the least time-consuming way to compare rate quotes from many different companies.
Finding a lower price on insurance can be quick and easy. Just take the time to compare rate quotes to find out which insurance company has affordable Cadillac ATS insurance quotes.
Getting quotes online is very simple and it takes the place of having to waste gas driving to insurance agents' offices. Shopping for car insurance online eliminates the middleman unless you require the trained advice that only a licensed agent can provide. Some companies do allow you to price shop online but buy from a local insurance agent.
The companies shown below can provide free quotes in San Jose, CA. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Car insurance is an important decision
Despite the potentially high cost of Cadillac ATS insurance, maintaining insurance serves several important purposes.
First, most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your Cadillac ATS, almost every bank will stipulate that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Cadillac at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects both your Cadillac and your personal assets. It will also pay for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your Cadillac gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially with large liability claims. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays as much as $855 a year so it's recommended you shop around every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Get More Affordable Insurance Premiums by Understanding These Factors
Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the factors that are used to determine the price you pay for insurance. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get better insurance rates.
The list below includes some of the major factors companies use to determine rates.
Performance impacts insurance rates - The performance level of the car you are insuring makes a significant difference in your rates. Low performance passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
Vehicle features that cut prices - Purchasing a vehicle that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help stop car theft.
Too many insurance claims drive up premiums - If you file a lot of claims you can expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Auto insurance companies in California generally give better rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your insurance policy is intended for larger claims.
Safer the car lower the rate - Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Vehicles built for safety reduce injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries translates into savings for insurance companies which can result in lower premiums. If your Cadillac ATS has ratings of a minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may be receiving a better rate.
Rates increase with driving citations - Your driving record has a big impact on rates. Careful drivers pay less for auto insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Having just one citation can bump up the cost substantially. Drivers who have received severe violations like DUI or willful reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to maintain a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to keep their license.
Getting married can save on insurance - Having a significant other may earn you lower rates on your insurance bill. Having a significant other generally demonstrates drivers are more mature and responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married couples file fewer claims.
Insurance policy lapses increase premiums - Having a lapse in insurance coverage can be a fast way to increase your insurance rates. In addition to paying higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a steep fine or even jail time. You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the California motor vehicle department.
More than one policy can earn a discount - The majority of companies will award lower prices to policyholders who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can add up to 10 percent or more. Even with this discount, you still need to compare other company rates to help guarantee you have the best rates.
Cadillac ATS claim probability - Companies study historical loss data to determine a price that will be profitable for them. Models that have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have higher rates. The table below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Cadillac ATS vehicles.
For each coverage type, the statistical loss for all vehicles as a whole is set at 100. Values below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while percentage values above 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Cadillac ATS 4dr 2WD||121||97||103||107||96||90|
|Cadillac ATS 4dr 4WD||127||81||91||92||93||74|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Cadillac ATS insurance discounts in San Jose
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some of these discounts will be visible when you get a quote, but a few need to be inquired about before you will receive the discount. If you do not double check each discount available, you may be paying too high a price.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers with accident-free driving histories get the best auto insurance rates in comparison with policyholders that have many claims.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you can bundle your auto and homeowners insurance with one company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Accident Waiver - Not really a discount, but certain companies will let one accident slide without the usual rate increase if you have no claims prior to the accident.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Anti-theft Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices can help prevent theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
We need to note that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears it's possible to get free car insurance, you're out of luck. But any discount will definitely lower your policy premiums.
Large auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are shown below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for driver's education, multiple policy, anti-theft, accident-free, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including business and professional, good student, bundle discounts, multi-car, homeowner, distant student, and alternative fuel.
- GEICO offers discounts including air bags, military active duty, driver training, five-year accident-free, and defensive driver.
- American Family includes discounts for bundled insurance, accident-free, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, good student, good driver, and early bird.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include family plan, easy pay, defensive driving, Farm Bureau membership, good student, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- Progressive has discounts for online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
It's a good idea to ask all companies you are considering how you can save money. A few discounts may not apply to policyholders in San Jose. To locate insurers that offer the discounts shown above in San Jose, click here.
Your insurance coverage should be tailored to you
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage online or from an agent, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Every insured's situation is different.
For instance, these questions might help in determining if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- What is PIP insurance?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
If you can't answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Buying from car insurance agents
Some consumers just want to sit down and talk to an agent and often times that is recommended Professional insurance agents are trained risk managers and give you someone to call. One of the benefits of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper rates and still choose a local agent. Buying insurance from small agencies is especially important in San Jose.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in San Jose who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. You don't have to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, don't hesitate to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right insurance company should depend on more than just the quoted price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in San Jose?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
How much can you save?
Some auto insurance companies may not have price quotes online and many times these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents. Cheap Cadillac ATS insurance in San Jose is definitely available both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to compare both to have the best selection.
We covered a lot of information how to get a better price on Cadillac ATS insurance in San Jose. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best prices are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
People change insurance companies for many reasons like policy non-renewal, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, unfair underwriting practices or poor customer service. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a great new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
More detailed auto insurance information can be found at these sites:
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Tundra in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Homeowners in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Veterans in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)