The best way we recommend to get cheaper GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers who can sell car insurance in San Jose.
Step 1: Get an understanding of how companies price auto insurance and the changes you can make to prevent rate increases. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates such as tickets, at-fault accidents, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely. Read the full article for additional ideas to prevent expensive rate increases and get additional discounts.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your existing policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the new company. Once the application is submitted, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
An important note is to make sure you enter similar limits and deductibles on each quote and to quote with as many companies as possible. This ensures a fair price comparison and the best rate selection.
It's amazing but most drivers have been with the same company for four years or more, and 38% of customers have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. With the average premium in California being $1,390, drivers can save 35% each year by just shopping around, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to shop around.
These discounts can lower your car insurance rates
Some insurance providers don't always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in a way that's easy to find, so below is a list a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you buy San Jose car insurance online.
- Cautious Drivers - Insureds without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their San Jose car insurance quote than their less cautious counterparts.
- Membership in Organizations - Joining a civic or occupational organization in San Jose could trigger savings on your bill.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Vehicles with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts can save a little on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Multiple Cars - Having all your vehicles on the same car insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn't work that way.
The information below visualizes the comparison of GMC Sierra 3500HD yearly insurance costs with and without policy discounts. The information is based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no claims, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, marriage, multi-car, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are outlined below.
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-theft, driver training, five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, and air bags.
- MetLife may include discounts for multi-policy, defensive driver, good student, claim-free, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts for good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers includes discounts for good student, save driver, student away at school, driver training, multi-policy, home ownership, and new car.
- SAFECO has savings for multi-car, drive less, accident prevention training, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, homeowner, and bundle discounts.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multi-car, good driver, education and occupation, and AAA membership discount.
When getting free San Jose car insurance quotes, it's a good idea to each company or agent which discounts they offer. Discounts might not be offered on policies in your area. For a list of insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in California, click here to view.
When comparison shopping, making a lot of price comparisons will improve the odds of getting the best price. Some regional insurers cannot provide rate quotes online, so it's important to also get quotes from them, too.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in California. If the list has multiple companies, it's highly recommended you compare several of them to get the cheapest price.
Rate information and statistics
The rate information displayed below showcases a range of prices for GMC Sierra 3500HD models. Being more informed about how policy rates are formulated can help you make decisions when choosing a new policy provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$300||$536||$464||$28||$138||$1,466||$122|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$300||$616||$580||$34||$174||$1,704||$142|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$300||$536||$464||$28||$138||$1,466||$122|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Extended Cab 2WD||$300||$536||$464||$28||$138||$1,466||$122|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Extended Cab 4WD||$300||$616||$580||$34||$174||$1,704||$142|
|Sierra 3500HD SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$300||$616||$580||$34||$174||$1,704||$142|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Extended Cab 2WD||$300||$536||$464||$28||$138||$1,466||$122|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$300||$616||$580||$34||$174||$1,704||$142|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Extended Cab 4WD||$300||$616||$580||$34||$174||$1,704||$142|
|Sierra 3500HD SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$330||$616||$464||$28||$138||$1,576||$131|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in specific San Jose garaging location which can change premiums greatly.
The illustration below demonstrates how deductibles and can increase or decrease GMC Sierra 3500HD yearly insurance costs for different age categories. The price estimates are based on a single female driver, full coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Careless driving habits raise car insurance rates
The diagram below shows how violations and accidents can increase GMC Sierra 3500HD annual premium costs for each different age category. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance premiums by gender
The example below illustrates the difference between GMC Sierra 3500HD annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The illustration below shows the difference between GMC Sierra 3500HD car insurance rates with and without full coverage. The premiums are based on no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There isn't a steadfast formula of when to eliminate full coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's pretend your GMC Sierra 3500HD book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it's costing in excess of $400 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few cases where eliminating full coverage is not financially feasible. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Smart Buyers Know How to Find Car Insurance at a Discount
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that are used to determine your premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get better car insurance rates.
- Insure car and home with the same company - Lots of car insurance companies give discounts to insureds who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to ten or even fifteen percent. If you currently are using one company, consumers should still compare other company rates to guarantee you are still saving the most. You may still find lower rates by buying car insurance from a different company.
- Keep insurance claims to a minimum - If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Companies in California award the best rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- More traffic equals higher prices - Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages when trying to find low car insurance rates. City drivers have to deal with congested traffic and longer commute times. Fewer drivers on the road corresponds to lower accident rates and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
Performance makes a difference - The type of vehicle you own makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The chart below uses these assumptions: single female driver age 50, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It shows GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance rates compared to other vehicles that have a range of performances.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates - An insured's credit history factor in calculating your car insurance rates. Insureds with high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with bad credit. If your credit history could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your GMC Sierra 3500HD by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Better prices on safer cars - Safe vehicles tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
- Don't buy incidental coverages you don't use - Policies have additional coverages you can purchase if you aren't careful. Insurance for things like rental car coverage, accidental death, and extra life insurance coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so consider taking them off your policy.
- Discounts for married drivers - Having a wife or husband actually saves money on your policy. Having a spouse is viewed as being more mature and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Get rate quotes but still have a local San Jose insurance agency
Some consumers just prefer to talk to a local agent. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get lower car insurance rates but also keep your business local. Buying from small agencies is important especially in San Jose.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is transmitted to agents in your area who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. It's the lowest rates and work with a local agent. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, feel free to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Different types of San Jose auto insurance agents
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in San Jose are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business through many companies and find the cheapest rate. If prices rise, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparison shopping, it's recommended you get rate quotes from several independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Featured below is a list of independent insurance agencies in San Jose that may be able to give you free auto insurance quotes.
Exclusive agents generally can only insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in San Jose that are able to give price quote information.
Reed Sparks - State Farm Insurance Agent
3119 Alum Rock Ave - San Jose, CA 95127 - (408) 923-2055 - View Map
Finding a good car insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- How are claims handled?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
Why you need Sierra 3500HD insurance in California
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a GMC Sierra 3500HD in San Jose, maintaining insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, it's guaranteed your bank will require that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your GMC at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your GMC. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so you should quote rates each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Persistence is the key to cheaper rates
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to reduce GMC Sierra 3500HD insurance rates online in San Jose. It's most important to understand that the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better chance you'll have of finding cheaper San Jose car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
When getting San Jose car insurance quotes online, never reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that it was a big error on their part. The goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
- Self-driving cars won't replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Welfare Recipients in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Jose Auto Insurance for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)