If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find low-cost Volkswagen Golf insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from companies that sell auto insurance in San Jose.
- Try to understand car insurance and the changes you can make to lower rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like accidents, careless driving, and your credit history can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Later in this article we will cover information to help reduce premium rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy and determine if cheaper Golf coverage is available in San Jose. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a completed application to your new agent or company. As soon as coverage is bound, place your new certificate verifying coverage along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One key aspect when comparing rates is that you use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to compare as many auto insurance providers as possible. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete selection of prices.
It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want you quoting rates from other companies. Consumers who shop around for cheaper prices are highly likely to switch car insurance companies because they have good chances of finding good coverage at a lower price. A recent survey found that people who regularly shopped around saved about $865 a year as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding low prices for auto insurance is your ultimate objective, then learning a little about the best way to compare insurance coverage can help make the process easier and more efficient.
All major auto insurance companies allow consumers to get prices from their websites. Comparing prices online for Volkswagen Golf insurance in San Jose is easy for anyone as you simply type in the coverage amounts you desire as detailed in the form. After the form is submitted, their rating system will obtain your driving and credit reports and returns a price based on these factors. This helps simplify price comparisons, and it’s also necessary to compare as many rates as possible in order to get the best possible rates on auto insurance.
If you want to find out what other companies charge, check out the auto insurance providers below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend that you enter the coverage information just like they are on your policy. This ensures you will receive rate comparison quotes based on the exact same insurance coverage.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to find the lowest rates.
Coverage statistics and figures
The coverage table shown below outlines estimates of insurance rates for Volkswagen Golf models. Being more informed about how insurance rates are calculated can aid in making decisions on the best policy to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Golf 2.5 2-Dr Hatchback||$292||$672||$416||$24||$124||$1,528||$127|
|Golf 2.5 4-Dr Hatchback||$330||$672||$416||$24||$124||$1,566||$131|
|Golf 2.0T Turbo Diesel 2-Dr Hatchback||$330||$774||$416||$24||$124||$1,668||$139|
|Golf 2.0T Turbo Diesel 4-Dr Hatchback||$330||$672||$416||$24||$124||$1,566||$131|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, and homeowner. Rate information does not factor in vehicle garaging location which can raise or lower premiums greatly.
The illustration below shows how choosing a deductible and can influence Volkswagen Golf insurance costs for each age group. The premiums assume a single female driver, full coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Poor driving habits will raise your car insurance rates
The illustration below shows how violations and accidents can increase Volkswagen Golf insurance rates for different age groups. The prices are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Volkswagen Golf auto insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. Data assumes no violations or claims, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There isn’t a written rule for phasing out physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s pretend your Volkswagen Golf settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $8,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If it’s costing you more than $800 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are a few cases where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Protect more than your Golf
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Volkswagen Golf in San Jose, maintaining insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Volkswagen has a loan, more than likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Volkswagen but also your financial assets. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $850 per year so compare rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
How to Lower Your Insurance Prices
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the factors that aid in calculating the price you pay for insurance. When you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that could help you find cheaper rates. Lots of factors are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, although others are more obscure such as whether you are married or your commute time.
The itemized list below are some of the items insurance companies consider when setting your rate level.
Extra coverages that aren’t used – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed if you aren’t diligent. Coverages like coverage for rental cars, high-cost glass coverage, and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. These coverages may sound good at first, but now you might not need them so get rid of them and save.
Save money by having multiple policies – Most insurance companies will give better rates to clients who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it’s always a smart idea to compare other San Jose Golf insurance rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to save even more than the discount even if you insure with multiple companies
More stress means more cost – Occupations like lawyers, air traffic controllers, and dentists are shown to have higher premium rates because of high stress levels and long work hours. Other jobs such as professors, students and the unemployed pay the least.
Theft deterrents save – Buying a car with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention devices such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms help track and prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
Where do you drive? – Driving a lot of miles every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Cars left parked in the garage receive better premium rates than cars that get driven a lot. An incorrectly rated Golf can cost quite a bit. It’s a smart idea to ensure your insurance policy is showing annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Insurance rates for married couples – Having a wife or husband helps lower the price compared to being single. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more stable financially and statistics show drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Insurance loss data for Volkswagen Golf vehicles – Insurers study historical loss data to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Vehicles that the data shows to have higher loss trends will have a higher premium rate. The information below illustrates the insurance loss data for Volkswagen Golf vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together is considered to be 100. Values that are below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while numbers shown that are more than 100 point to more claims or larger claims.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Do you qualify for discounts on Volkswagen Golf insurance in San Jose?
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but companies offer discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some discounts will apply when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars with anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a San Jose car insurance quote.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers are able to get a small discount on rates.
- Resident Student – College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from San Jose and don’t have a car can receive lower rates.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one isn’t a discount, but certain companies allow you one accident without getting socked with a rate hike with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a specific time period.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for buying a new policy prior to your current Golf insurance policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
The information below shows the difference between Volkswagen Golf auto insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premiums assume a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, marriage, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free discounts applied.
To view insurers offering car insurance discounts in California, click here.
Compare prices but buy from a local neighborhood San Jose car insurance agent
A lot of people prefer to go talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain better rates and also buy local.
By using this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to companies in San Jose who want to provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to drive around since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. It’s the lowest rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you just need to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best provider requires more thought than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- How long has the business existed?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Where are claims handled?
Shown below is a list of insurance companies in San Jose that can give you rate quotes for Volkswagen Golf insurance in San Jose.
Affordable rates are available
As you quote San Jose car insurance, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your objective should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
Lower-priced insurance in San Jose can be bought both online and with local San Jose insurance agents, so you need to quote San Jose car insurance with both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers may not offer internet price quotes and usually these smaller providers work with independent agents.
Other learning opportunities
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Good Drivers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue in San Jose? (FAQ)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)