If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find affordable auto insurance rates in San Jose is to compare prices annually from companies who can sell car insurance in California. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
- Read and learn about what is in your policy and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as your driving record and an unfavorable credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Read the full article for additional ideas to get cheaper rates and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if cheaper MPV coverage is available. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Notify your company or agent of your intention to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment along with a signed application to your new agent or company. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the new certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location.
A crucial key to this process is to make sure you're comparing similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to compare as many companies as feasibly possible. This guarantees an accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
It's safe to assume that insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Drivers who get comparison quotes once a year are likely to switch companies because there is a good probability of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A recent study showed that consumers who make a habit of shopping around saved over $3,500 over four years compared to those who never compared prices.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance in San Jose is why you're reading this, understanding the best ways to find and compare cheaper coverage can save time and money.
If you have insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to get lower rates using the techniques covered below. Getting quotes for the lowest cost car insurance in San Jose is easy to do. Although California consumers need to have an understanding of how insurance companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Companies offering Mazda MPV insurance in San Jose
The providers in the list below provide free quotes in San Jose, CA. If multiple companies are listed, it's highly recommended you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Slash your auto insurance rates with these five discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but occasionally some discounts must be requested specifically before being credited.
- Good Student - Being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up until you turn 25.
- College Student - College-age children who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- Paperwork-free - A handful of auto insurance companies will provide an incentive for buying a policy and signing up on the internet.
- Active Service Discounts - Being deployed with a military unit could trigger a small discount.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, it doesn't quite work that way.
The best auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are outlined below.
- Esurance discounts include paid-in-full, Pac-12 alumni, DriveSense, multi-policy, and defensive driver.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, defensive driver, air bag, and bundle.
- AAA has discounts for pay-in-full, good driver, multi-car, education and occupation, and AAA membership discount.
- GEICO has savings for daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, and air bags.
- State Farm offers discounts for passive restraint, multiple policy, good student, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, and driver's education.
If you need lower rates, check with all the companies how many discounts you can get. Some discounts may not apply to policyholders in San Jose. For a list of auto insurance companies who offer discounts in California, click here to view.
When to get advice from an agent
A small number of people just prefer to have an agent's advice and that is recommended in a lot of cases A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheap insurance rates and also buy local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to participating agents in San Jose who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to even leave your home since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND an agent nearby. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you can always find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an insurer requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Any good agent in San Jose should know the answers to these questions.
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
After getting positive feedback to all your questions and a low price estimate, it's possible that you found an insurer that is a good match to adequately provide insurance. Just keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can terminate coverage whenever you want so don't assume you're contractually obligated to a specific company for any length of time.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to a policy for your vehicles, there really isn't a best way to insure your cars. Everyone's needs are different.
These are some specific questions might point out if your insurance needs could use an agent's help.
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
- Should I file a claim if it's only slightly more than my deductible?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Am I covered by my spouse's policy after a separation?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- What is glass protection for?
- What is medical payments coverage?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
If you don't know the answers to these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Information about specific coverages
Having a good grasp of your policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage at the best deductibles and correct limits. Insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when the "other guys" are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and damage to your Mazda MPV.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/5), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to people or other property. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 15/30/5 that means you have a limit of $15,000 per injured person, $30,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers things such as legal defense fees, repair bills for other people's vehicles, loss of income, pain and suffering and structural damage. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but it's recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be enough.
This covers damage to your MPV resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things such as colliding with a tree, colliding with another moving vehicle, driving through your garage door, rolling your car and sideswiping another vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your MPV to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive auto coverage
Comprehensive insurance covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like a tree branch falling on your vehicle, falling objects and damage from flooding. The maximum amount your insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Med pay and PIP coverage reimburse you for expenses such as nursing services, hospital visits and EMT expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
The best insurance company isn't always the cheapest
Drivers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, poor customer service, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even delays in paying claims. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding the right insurance provider can be less work than you think.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how to save on Mazda MPV insurance in San Jose. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even be surprised to find that the best prices are with a small local company.
Some insurance companies may not provide internet price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents. Budget-conscious Mazda MPV insurance is definitely available from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Additional insurance information is located at the links below
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota 4Runner in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for 18 Year Olds in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Jose Auto Insurance for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Lyft Drivers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much are San Jose Auto Insurance Quotes for Felons? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)