It’s safe to conclude that car insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Consumers who shop around for cheaper rates will presumably move their business because there is a high probability of finding a lower-cost company. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that drivers who compared rates annually saved on average $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding budget-friendly auto insurance is your objective, knowing the best way to quote and compare insurance coverage can save time, money, and frustration.
The easiest way to get budget car insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from companies who can sell car insurance in San Jose. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- Try to learn about what is in your policy and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that increase rates like traffic citations, accidents, and a not-so-good credit rating can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage and see if you can save money. If you can save money and decide to switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company of your intention to cancel your current policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application for your new coverage. When you receive it, keep your new certificate of insurance with the vehicle registration.
The key thing to remember is to try to compare identical limits and deductibles on each quote and and to analyze as many car insurance companies as possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Choosing the most cost-effective insurance policy in San Jose can be much easier if you know how to start. If you have a policy now or are shopping for new coverage, you can learn to reduce premiums and still have adequate protection. Smart shoppers just need to know the most effective way to compare prices on the web.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap rates in California
The auto insurance companies shown below provide price quotes in San Jose, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Insurance coverage analysis
The table shown next outlines a range of policy rates for Chevy Aveo models. Having a good understanding how insurance policy premiums are determined helps drivers make smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Aveo LS 4-Dr Hatchback||$378||$834||$596||$36||$178||$2,022||$169|
|Aveo LS 4-Dr Sedan||$378||$834||$596||$36||$178||$2,022||$169|
|Aveo LT 4-Dr Hatchback||$428||$834||$596||$36||$178||$2,072||$173|
|Aveo LT 4-Dr Sedan||$428||$834||$596||$36||$178||$2,072||$173|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in specific location information which can revise price quotes significantly.
Chevrolet Aveo insurance costs by gender and age in San Jose
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Aveo insurance rates for male and female drivers. The data is based on no claims or driving violations, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied.
Cheaper rates with these six discounts on Chevy Aveo insurance in San Jose
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts that can drop the cost substantially. A few discounts will be applied at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about in order for you to get them. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount available, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driver skills is a good idea and can lower rates and also improve your driving technique.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront as opposed to paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Memberships – Participating in a civic or occupational organization in San Jose could trigger savings on your next auto insurance statement.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a San Jose auto insurance quote.
A quick disclaimer, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way.
The information below illustrates the difference between Chevy Aveo premium costs with and without policy discounts. The premiums assume a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, homeowner, multi-car, marriage, claim-free, and safe-driver discounts applied.
The best auto insurance companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, multi-policy, good student, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife discounts include defensive driver, claim-free, good driver, multi-policy, good student, accident-free
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including accident-free, good student, annual mileage, type of vehicle, and location of vehicle.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, anti-theft, family plan, accident-free, and good student.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, federal employee, defensive driver, driver training, and good student.
- AAA may offer discounts for good student, multi-car, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, anti-theft, and pay-in-full.
When comparing rates, check with all companies you are considering which discounts you may be entitled to. Discounts may not apply in San Jose. To find companies who offer auto insurance discounts in San Jose, click this link.
When to have guidance from a local insurance agent
Some people just prefer to sit down with an agent and often times that is recommended Licensed agents can help you build your policy and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find better rates and still buy from a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your insurance data is sent to insurance agents in San Jose who will give you quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to you. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, just jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best provider is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- How long has the business existed?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
When searching for a local San Jose insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents in San Jose can be categorized as either independent or exclusive. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning the subtle differences because it may have an impact on buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. These agents are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers often use the same exclusive agent partially due to loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in San Jose who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Farmers Insurance – Jeff Senigaglia
950 S Bascom Ave #2113 – San Jose, CA 95128 – (408) 297-6686 – View Map
- Lillian Moore – State Farm Insurance Agent
5589 Winfield Blvd #210 – San Jose, CA 95123 – (408) 268-8600 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: David Tofig
6116 Camino Verde Dr Ste 9 – San Jose, CA 95119 – (408) 281-9190 – View Map
Agents that choose to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that allows them to write policies with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If your premiums go up, they simply switch companies in-house and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing auto insurance rates, you definitely need to compare quotes from at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most can insure with different regional companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Listed below are San Jose independent insurance agencies willing to provide rate quotes.
- San Jose Insurance
2542 S Bascom Ave – Campbell, CA 95008 – (408) 371-3700 – View Map
- Donald Browne Insurance Services
330 W Hedding St #207 – San Jose, CA 95110 – (408) 292-4329 – View Map
- Casey Nguyen Insurance Agency, Inc.
1639 Meridian Ave a – San Jose, CA 95125 – (408) 286-4467 – View Map
What car insurance coverages do you need?
Having a good grasp of car insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – This coverage provides protection from other drivers when they do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Aveo.
Since many California drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 15/30/5), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Comprehensive coverage – This will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as hitting a bird, damage from flooding, hail damage, vandalism and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The highest amount your car insurance company will pay is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses like funeral costs, prosthetic devices, nursing services, surgery and pain medications. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is not universally available and may carry a deductible
Auto liability insurance – This coverage will cover damage that occurs to other people or property that is your fault. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, $30,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, bail bonds, legal defense fees and attorney fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. California requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The illustration below shows why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Collision coverage – This pays for damage to your Aveo caused by collision with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against things such as hitting a mailbox, scraping a guard rail and rolling your car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Aveo in order to get cheaper collision rates.
You can find affordable coverage
Discount Chevy Aveo insurance in San Jose can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in San Jose, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
Insureds leave their current company for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, denial of a claim, being labeled a high risk driver or even unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding the right auto insurance provider can be pretty painless.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Additional auto insurance information is located below:
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Police Officers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Jose Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit? (FAQ)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)