If you want to save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest Chevy SS insurance is to compare prices at least once a year from providers that insure vehicles in San Jose. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- Gain an understanding of coverages and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that increase rates such as speeding and bad credit can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple sources.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in San Jose. If you can save some money and change companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Tell your current company to cancel the current policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to your new agent or company. As soon as you receive it, safely store the proof of insurance paperwork with your registration paperwork.
One bit of advice is that you use similar coverage information on each quote and and to analyze as many car insurance companies as possible. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
It's well known that insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. People who get comparison quotes once a year are very likely to switch insurance companies because of the high probability of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent survey found that drivers who regularly shopped around saved on average $865 a year compared to those who didn't regularly shop around.
If saving the most money on Chevy SS insurance is your objective, then understanding how to find companies and compare cheaper coverage can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
There are several ways of comparing rates from all the different companies. The fastest way to compare insurance prices involves getting comparison quotes online.
It's so simple to compare car insurance rates online replaces the need to physically go to and from local San Jose insurance agencies. The ability to get quotes online has reduced the need for local agents unless you want the professional advice only provided by licensed San Jose agents. Drivers can price shop your coverage online but buy the policy through an agent. When price shopping your coverage, comparing a large number of companies helps locate better pricing. Not every company does San Jose SS insurance quotes online, so it's important to also get price estimates from them, too.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in San Jose, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Even though San Jose SS insurance rates can get expensive, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your SS, most banks will stipulate that you buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves your car and your assets. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $825 a year so it's recommended you shop around at least once a year to save money.
Smart Buyers Know How to Buy Insurance for Less
Lots of factors are used when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, but other criteria are not as apparent like where you live or your commute time. Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the things that aid in calculating your insurance rates. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in better insurance rates.
Use but don't abuse your insurance - If you frequently file small claims, you should expect much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in California provide discounts to insureds who are not frequent claim filers. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
Affects performance affects auto insurance prices - The make and model of the vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in your rates. The lowest rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger cars, but your final cost has many other factors.
Lower rates for married couples - Being married can actually save you money when buying insurance. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more responsible and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Pay more of a claim out-of-pocket - Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your Chevy. Some examples of claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, hitting a deer, and windstorm damage. Physical damage deductibles state the amount of money you are required to pay before your insurance pays a claim. The more of the claim you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Lower rates come with age - Inexperience drivers have a tendency to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving with friends therefore insurance rates are much higher. Having to add a youthful driver onto a policy can really hurt. More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and usually have better credit.
Chevy SS insurance loss statistics - Insurers analyze the history of losses as a way to help calculate a profitable premium price. Models that have higher claim amounts or frequency will cost more for specific coverages.
The table below illustrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Chevy SS vehicles. For each type of coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles combined as an average equals 100. Values that are under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of a larger loss.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Earn discounts on San Jose insurance
Auto insurance companies don't always list every possible discount in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details some of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to bring down your rates.
- Paper-free Discount - Certain larger companies will provide an incentive for completing your application over the internet.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying a policy with more than one vehicle on a single policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of 20% or more.
- Bundle and Save - When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Early Renewal Discounts - A few insurance companies give discounts for signing up before your current SS insurance policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more on SS insurance in San Jose.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Clubs and Organizations - Participating in qualifying employment or professional organizations could qualify you for a break when shopping for insurance.
- Service Members Pay Less - Having an actively deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- New Vehicle Savings - Buying a new car model can get you a discount since newer models are generally safer.
As is typical with insurance, some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the fact that it seems like you could get a free insurance policy, it just doesn't work that way.
Companies and some of the discounts are:
- Esurance may have discounts that include anti-theft, safety device, Pac-12 alumni, multi-car, and Switch & Save.
- The Hartford discounts include bundle, vehicle fuel type, driver training, air bag, and anti-theft.
- AAA may include discounts for good driver, education and occupation, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, and pay-in-full.
- GEICO has savings for membership and employees, multi-policy, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and driver training.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for accident-free, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, driver's education, and passive restraint.
It's a good idea to ask all the companies how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in San Jose. If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer the discounts shown above in San Jose, follow this link.
Can't I compare rates from local San Jose insurance agents?
A small number of people just want to buy from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood agents is especially important in San Jose.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in San Jose that provide free San Jose car insurance quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific company, you just need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
If you're trying to find a local San Jose insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Agents in San Jose can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type are not locked into one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through many companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally and you don't have to do anything.
When comparing car insurance rates, you will definitely want to compare quotes from a few independent agents for the best price selection.
Shown below are independent insurance agencies in San Jose that may be able to provide competitive price quotes.
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company such as Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents are well schooled on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
Shown below are exclusive agents in San Jose who can help you get rate quotes.
Gary Sanchez - State Farm Insurance Agent
2053 Lincoln Ave a - San Jose, CA 95125 - (408) 269-5001 - View Map
Picking a insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
Once you have received good responses to your questions and a good coverage price, it's possible that you found a car insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles. Just understand that you are able to cancel your coverage whenever you want so don't feel you're contractually obligated to a specific company for a certain time period.
Don't give up on cheaper rates
You just read some good ideas how you can save on Chevy SS insurance in San Jose. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from an unexpected company. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Additional information can be read below:
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 50 in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Honda CR-V in San Jose? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Sonata in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Silverado in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)