The recommended way to get cheaper auto insurance rates in San Jose is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurance carriers in California. This can be done by following these steps.
- First, read about how insurance works and the changes you can make to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and poor credit can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover the details to prevent high rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a completed application for your new coverage. Once the application is submitted, store the proof of insurance paperwork along with your vehicle registration.
A crucial key to this process is to use similar coverage information on each quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. Doing this guarantees a fair price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, nearly 70% of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never shopped around. Many drivers in San Jose could save up to 35% every year by just comparing quotes, but they underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Our goal is to help educate you on the best way to buy inexpensive car insurance and some tips to save money. If you are paying for car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to cut your premiums using the ideas you’re about to read. But California drivers need to have an understanding of the way companies market insurance on the web and apply this information to your search.
How to get free Hummer H2 SUT insurance quotes online
Keep in mind that more quotes will improve the odds of getting more affordable insurance.
The providers in the list below offer free quotes in San Jose, CA. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Why you need to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost, insuring your vehicle may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Hummer H2 SUT, it’s most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your Hummer at a much higher rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having car insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. As of last year, the average driver in California is wasting up to $869 every year so shop around once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but companies offer discounts to help bring down the price. A few discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but a few must be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Discount for Good Grades – Maintaining excellent grades can save 20 to 25%. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child enroll in driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off PIP or medical payments premium.
- No Claims – Insureds with no claims or accidents pay much less when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles can earn lower insurance rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying a new car model can save you some money due to better safety requirements for newer models.
You can save money using discounts, but some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that adding up those discounts means a free policy, that’s just not realistic.
Popular insurance companies and their offered discounts include:
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, federal employee, multi-policy, good student, and seat belt use.
- USAA may offer discounts for driver training, loyalty savings, multi-policy, new vehicle, and vehicle storage.
- Progressive discounts include online quote discount, good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- American Family may include discounts for good student, mySafetyValet, accident-free, good driver, bundled insurance, defensive driver, and air bags.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including renters, multi-policy, claim free, multi-car, homeowner, and safety device.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for homeowner, pay in full, business and professional, youthful driver, and early shopping.
- State Farm has discounts for driver’s education, multiple autos, multiple policy, good driver, and accident-free.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company which discounts can lower your rates. Some credits might not be available to policyholders in San Jose.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When selecting adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Hummer H2 SUT is totaled?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?