There isn't a single person who gets a kick out of paying for car insurance, especially when they could lower their rates if they shopped around.
It goes without saying that car insurance companies don't want you quoting rates from other companies. Insureds who do rate comparisons will presumably switch companies because there is a good chance of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent survey discovered that consumers who shopped around every year saved over $70 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the cheapest price for auto insurance is your target objective, then learning a little about the best way to quote and compare insurance rates can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
Steps to saving on Ford Freestar insurance in San Jose
The recommended way to find cheaper car insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from different companies who can sell car insurance in San Jose.
- Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the modifications you can make to drop your rates. Many factors that cause high rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and poor credit history can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely. Read the full article for instructions to help keep prices low and earn larger discounts.
- Step 2: Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes from multiple sources. Select a company
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available in San Jose. If you can save some money and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
A good tip to remember is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get rates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
Companies like Progressive, State Farm and GEICO promote their brand names with ad campaigns and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the propaganda and find the best price available.
It's a good idea to shop coverage around as often as possible because car insurance prices go up and down regularly. Just because you had the best price on Ford Freestar insurance in San Jose at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you're about to learn one of the quickest ways to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money on Ford Freestar insurance in San Jose.
To find cheaper rates, there are a couple of ways of comparing rate quotes from different San Jose insurance companies. The recommended way to compare rates is simply to get online rate quotes.
Getting free quotes online is quite simple, and it takes the place of having to make phone calls or go to all the different San Jose insurance agencies. The ability to quote Ford Freestar insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you're the type of person who wants the professional assistance only provided by licensed San Jose agents. Some companies do allow you to get prices online and still use a local agent. When comparison shopping, comparing a wide range of rates gives you a better chance of getting better pricing.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you click on several of them to get the cheapest price.
Auto insurance is not optional but you don't have to overpay
Despite the potentially high cost of Ford Freestar insurance, paying for auto insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Ford Freestar with a loan, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Ford at a much higher rate and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $830 a year so shop around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Cheaper rates with these nine discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you might find some hidden discounts to help offset the cost. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but a few need to be requested specifically before you will receive the discount.
- Auto/Life Discount - Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a lower premium rate if you buy life insurance.
- Anti-theft System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Distant College Student Discount - Children who live away from home at college and don't have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Senior Discount - Older drivers are able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Home Ownership Discount - Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Employee of Federal Government - Federal government employees could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - If you combine your home and auto policies with the same company you may save nearly 15% which can help you find low cost Ford Freestar insurance.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Sign Online - A few larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on the internet.
Don't be surprised that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that's just not realistic.
Large car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts include:
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online signing, and online quote discount.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include teen driver, business and professional, homeowner, bundle discounts, mature driver, youthful driver, and electronic funds transfer.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-policy, driver training, multi-vehicle, renewal discount, safe driver, 55 and retired, and youthful driver.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple policy, defensive driving training, anti-theft, good student, and student away at school.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for emergency military deployment, air bags, five-year accident-free, seat belt use, and driver training.
- SAFECO includes discounts for accident prevention training, bundle discounts, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, and drive less.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for new vehicle discount, new move discount, hybrid vehicle, multi-policy, preferred payment discount, multi-car, and teen driver discount.
When getting free San Jose auto insurance quotes, it's a good idea to all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Some credits might not be offered in San Jose. To find car insurance companies with the best discounts in San Jose, click this link.
Compare prices but still have a neighborhood San Jose auto insurance agent
Some people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent. One of the great benefits of price shopping on the web is you can get better rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local insurance agents is important particularly in San Jose.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, the quote information gets sent to insurance agents in San Jose who will give competitive quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to do any legwork as quotes are delivered directly to you. You can find the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific car insurance provider, you can always go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Types of auto insurance agents
If you are wanting to find a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance policy providers may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you compare prices from independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below are independent insurance agencies in San Jose who may be able to give you pricing information.
Nationwide Insurance: Nathan Douglas Gleason Agency
1625 The Alameda Ste 402 - San Jose, CA 95126 - (408) 656-0034 - View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only provide one company's prices such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents are usually well trained on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a list of exclusive agents in San Jose who can help you get price quote information.
Dick Alesch - State Farm Insurance Agent
164 N Bascom Ave a - San Jose, CA 95128 - (408) 918-0877 - View Map
Finding the right insurance agency requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- How long has the business existed?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
The coverage is in the details
Having a good grasp of a insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are the normal coverages offered by insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Ford Freestar.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Normally these limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like theft, damage from a tornado or hurricane, fire damage, a broken windshield and hail damage. The highest amount you'll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Collision coverage pays for damage to your Freestar resulting from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things like crashing into a ditch, damaging your car on a curb, hitting a mailbox and crashing into a building. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. It's also possible to raise the deductible on your Freestar to save money on collision insurance.
Auto liability insurance
Liability coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property in an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show policy limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, $30,000 for the entire accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against things such as court costs, legal defense fees, bail bonds, loss of income and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying higher limits if possible. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but it's recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The chart below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be enough.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for short-term medical expenses such as dental work, surgery, rehabilitation expenses and EMT expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
One last note
When trying to cut insurance costs, it's very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Some auto insurance companies may not offer online rate quotes and usually these small insurance companies work with local independent agencies. Low-cost Ford Freestar insurance in San Jose is available both online and also from your neighborhood San Jose agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection.
Steps to finding affordable quotes for Ford Freestar insurance in San Jose
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get more affordable car insurance rates in San Jose is to compare prices once a year from insurance carriers in California. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that drive up the price like distracted driving and an imperfect credit rating can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from many different companies. Compare rates now
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application for the new policy. Make sure you place your new proof of insurance paperwork along with your vehicle registration.
The most important part of shopping around is to use similar coverage information on each price quote and and to get price estimates from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Additional information can be read on the following sites:
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota 4Runner in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Jose Auto Insurance for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Jose Auto Insurance Quotes for Single Moms? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Chevrolet Silverado in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Warning systems don't curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)