It’s amazing but a large majority of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for four years or more, and nearly the majority have never compared quotes from other companies. The average driver in San Jose can cut their rates by 35% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they underestimate the actual amount they would save if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
If you want to save money, the best way to find discount car insurance rates is to start comparing rates regularly from different companies who sell insurance in San Jose. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
- Read and learn about how companies set rates and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and a lousy credit rating can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is that you’ll want to make sure you compare identical coverages on each quote request and and to get prices from as many carriers as you can. Doing this helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Our objective in writing this article is to help you learn the best methods to compare rates and some tips to save money. If you have coverage now, you will surely be able to reduce the price you pay using the techniques covered below. But California drivers need to have an understanding of the way companies determine prices and take advantage of how the system works.
To find the best auto insurance rates, there are several ways to obtain and compare prices from all the different companies. The quickest method to find affordable insurance rates is to perform an online rate comparison.
Comparison shopping price quotes online is easy and it replaces the need to call or drive to and from local insurance agencies. Quoting and buying Volkswagen e-Golf insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you prefer the extra assistance only provided by licensed agents. Some companies do allow you to price shop your coverage online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
Just remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes provides better odds of finding the best price.
The providers in the list below can provide price quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
You may qualify for discounts for Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in San Jose
Auto insurance is expensive, but you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of purchase, but a few need to be specially asked for before they will apply. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings of 25 to 30%.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Good Student Discount – Performing well in school may save as much as 25% on a San Jose car insurance quote. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Organization Discounts – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for auto insurance.
- Mature Driver Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may receive a small discount on rates.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Active or former government employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with certain companies.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
A list of companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, continuous coverage, good student, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for teen driver, electronic funds transfer, bundle discounts, multi-car, pay in full, and mature driver.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for good student, safe driver, driver training, 55 and retired, renewal discount, and youthful driver.
- State Farm offers discounts including passive restraint, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, and Drive Safe & Save.
- GEICO may have discounts that include anti-theft, military active duty, air bags, defensive driver, federal employee, and good student.
- SAFECO has savings for bundle discounts, teen safety rewards, safe driver, drive less, homeowner, and accident prevention training.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for newly retired, new graduate, preferred payment discount, hybrid vehicle, and multi-policy.
If you are trying to find low cost San Jose car insurance quotes, ask all the companies what discounts are available to you. Some discounts might not apply in every state.
Compare rates but buy from a local San Jose insurance agency
A small number of people would prefer to go talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from and supporting small agencies is still important in San Jose.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, your insurance coverage information is sent to participating agents in San Jose who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t even need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. You can find the lowest rates and work with a local agent. If you want to quote rates from one company in particular, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Two types of San Jose auto insurance agents
If you need to find a reliable insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies that you can select. Auto insurance policy providers can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are not restricted to one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and find you the best rates. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, we recommend you include price quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Featured below is a partial list of independent agents in San Jose who may provide free price quotes.
Cya Insurance Agency From Sn
1271 Story Rd #50 – San Jose, CA 95122 – (408) 971-4172 – View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are San Jose exclusive insurance agencies who can help you get price quote information.
Dick Alesch – State Farm Insurance Agent
164 N Bascom Ave a – San Jose, CA 95128 – (408) 918-0877 – View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent should depend on more than just the price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
Insurance coverage options for a Volkswagen e-Golf
Learning about specific coverages of a insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are the usual coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Auto liability insurance
Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 15/30/5 that translate to $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one number which is a combined single limit that pays claims from the same limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, bail bonds and structural damage. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The illustration below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your e-Golf resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like scraping a guard rail, sustaining damage from a pot hole, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also raise the deductible on your e-Golf to save money on collision insurance.
Insurance for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for bills such as EMT expenses, prosthetic devices, surgery, chiropractic care and nursing services. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally these coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as fire damage, theft, hitting a bird and hitting a deer. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Persistence pays off
We covered many tips how you can lower your Volkswagen e-Golf insurance rates in San Jose. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
Affordable Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in San Jose can be purchased online and from local agencies, so get free San Jose car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some auto insurance companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and these regional carriers prefer to sell through local independent agents.
Even more information can be found in the articles below:
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Teachers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Good Drivers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Active Military in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Nurses in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Uninsured Drivers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Company Car in San Jose? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Business Use in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Jose Car Insurance Quotes for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Jose Auto Insurance for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)