The best way we recommend to get cheaper car insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers who can sell car insurance in San Jose.
Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of car insurance and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that result in higher rates like accidents, traffic violations, and a substandard credit history can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit payment and a completed application for the new policy. As soon as you can, place your new certificate of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
A good tip to remember is to try to compare the same level of coverage on every quote request and and to look at as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
A recent survey discovered that over 70% of consumers kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and just under half have never compared rate quotes at all. Most drivers in America can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but they underestimate how much they could save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Finding and comparing the lowest cost auto insurance policy in San Jose is actually quite simple. Nearly every car owner who needs more affordable auto insurance should find a lower-cost policy. Nevertheless, California consumers must understand the methods companies use to determine how much to charge because it varies considerably.
Most of the larger companies allow consumers to get price estimates from their websites. Getting online quotes for Oldsmobile Silhouette insurance in San Jose is possible for anyone because you just enter the amount of coverage you want as requested by the quote form. After you complete the form, their system makes automated requests for information on your driving record and credit history and quotes a price based on many factors.
This streamlines rate comparisons, and it's also necessary to perform this step in order to find cheaper insurance pricing.
If you want to compare rates now, compare rates from the companies below. If you have coverage now, it's recommended you copy deductibles and limits identical to your current policy. Doing this assures you will be getting an apples-to-apples comparison for similar insurance coverage.
The following companies can provide free quotes in San Jose, CA. If more than one company is shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the cheapest price.
Why you need to buy insurance
Even though San Jose Silhouette insurance rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Oldsmobile for a much higher rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards your car and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $855 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Car insurance companies don't always publicize every policy discount in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both the well known and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Payment Method - If paying your policy premium upfront rather than spreading payments over time you could save 5% or more.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Insureds who allow driving data submission to track driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
- Student Driver Training - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10% off your San Jose car insurance quote.
- Clubs and Organizations - Having an affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when getting a San Jose car insurance quote.
- San Jose Homeowners Discount - Owning a house in San Jose can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings up to 30%.
- Federal Government Employee - Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify for a discount when you quote San Jose car insurance with a few insurance companies.
- ABS Braking Discount - Cars that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
Don't be surprised that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it appears you could get a free insurance policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business. But all discounts will definitely lower your policy premium.
A list of insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are detailed below.
- GEICO offers discounts including driver training, anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, seat belt use, good student, anti-theft, and air bags.
- MetLife may have discounts that include good student, good driver, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free, accident-free
- State Farm includes discounts for multiple autos, anti-theft, good driver, passive restraint, student away at school, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Progressive offers discounts for online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online signing, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance offers premium reductions for multi-car, good student, annual mileage, accident-free, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- 21st Century has discounts for defensive driver, good student, driver training, theft prevention, 55 and older, and teen driver.
- Allstate has savings for multi-policy, 55 and retired, premier plus, eSmart discount, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
If you want low cost San Jose car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in California, click here to view.
Can't I get rate quotes from local San Jose car insurance agents?
Many people just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. And buying from local agents is important especially in San Jose.
By using this short form, your coverage information is emailed to participating agents in San Jose that can provide free San Jose car insurance quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. You can find the lowest rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, you can always jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Selecting an insurer is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Which family members are covered?
- When do they do policy reviews?
After receiving good feedback to any questions you may have as well as the cheapest Oldsmobile Silhouette insurance in San Jose quotes, it's possible that you found an provider that is professional and can provide car insurance coverage. Just remember you are entitled to cancel your policy at any point so don't feel that you are obligated to any specific agency indefinitely.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When quoting and choosing your policy, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Everyone's situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether you may require specific advice.
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- Am I covered when driving someone else's vehicle?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- How much liability coverage do I need in California?
- Is my Oldsmobile Silhouette covered for smoke damage?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Oldsmobile Silhouette?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Affordable car insurance rates are possible
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as denial of a claim, high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation and even being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company is easier than you think.
Cost effective Oldsmobile Silhouette insurance is possible from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to shop San Jose car insurance with both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers may not provide internet price quotes and these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
When you buy San Jose car insurance online, it's not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional car insurance information is located on the following sites:
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Versa in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Jose Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Jose Car Insurance Quotes for a Subaru Outback? (FAQ)
- How Much is San Jose Auto Insurance for High Risk Drivers? (FAQ)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)