Honda HR-V insurance cost image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
To save the most money, the best way to get low-cost Honda HR-V insurance in San Jose is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from companies that insure vehicles in California. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- First, try to understand what coverages are included in your policy and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that increase rates such as traffic citations and an unacceptable credit rating can be improved by paying attention to minor details. Read the full article for tips to help keep rates affordable and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Second, compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the new rates to your existing rates to determine if you can save on HR-V insurance. If you can save some money and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, give notification to your agent or company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep the new certificate verifying coverage in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
A good tip to remember is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to compare as many auto insurance providers as possible. This provides a level playing field and the best price quote selection.
It's well known that insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Insureds who compare price quotes are very likely to buy a different policy because of the high probability of finding better rates. A recent survey revealed that consumers who regularly compared rates saved on average $865 a year as compared to drivers who never shopped around.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Honda HR-V insurance in San Jose is your goal, learning the best ways to shop for insurance rates can save money and time.
Finding and buying the lowest-priced protection in San Jose is not as hard as you think. In essence, every vehicle owner who is required by state law to have car insurance will more than likely find a lower-cost company. But California vehicle owners should learn the methods companies use to compete online and apply this information to your search.
Most major insurance companies make it easy to get price estimates directly from their websites. Getting online rates for Honda HR-V insurance in San Jose is possible for anyone as all you need to do is type in your required coverages on the page. After you submit the form their system will obtain credit information and your driving record and returns pricing information based on the information you submitted.
This makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it's very important to perform this step in order to find the cheapest price.
To get comparison pricing now, check out the car insurance providers below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you copy the coverage information exactly as they are listed on your policy. Doing this assures you're receiving an apples-to-apples comparison for exact coverage.
The following companies can provide comparison quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you click on several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in San Jose, auto insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Honda has a lienholder, it's guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over for it.
- Auto insurance preserves your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $855 a year so it's recommended you shop around every year to ensure rates are inline.
Do you qualify for discounts on Honda HR-V insurance in San Jose?
Some insurance providers don't always list their entire list of discounts in a way that's easy to find, so the following list contains some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Discount for New Cars - Insuring a vehicle that is new can be considerably cheaper since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Drive Safe and Save - Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Sign Early and Save - Some larger companies give discounts for switching to them prior to your current HR-V insurance policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Student Driver Training - Teen drivers should complete a driver education course if it's offered in school.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Federal government employees could qualify for a slight premium decrease with some auto insurance companies.
- Use Seat Belts - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Taking time to complete a defensive driving class could save 5% or more if you qualify.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, it's just not the way it works.
Some of the larger companies who may offer most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
Before buying, ask all companies you are considering which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not be available in your state. To view providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in California, click here to view.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local San Jose insurance agent
Some people still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and doing that can be a smart decision A good thing about getting online price quotes is you may find cheap car insurance rates and still buy from a local agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is important especially in San Jose.
Upon completion of this quick form, your information is emailed to local insurance agents in San Jose that give free quotes to get your business. You don't have to contact an agency due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. Get lower rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific car insurance provider, you would need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
How to choose the best car insurance agent in San Jose
When narrowing the list to find a reliable insurance agent, you should know the types of insurance agents from which to choose. San Jose agents can either be exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents often have affiliation with several companies so they can write business with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don't have to find a new agent.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you will want to check rates from independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. Most also have access to companies that do not advertise much which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in San Jose that may be able to give you price quotes.
- All Spectrum Insurance Brokers
4010 Moorpark Ave #117 - San Jose, CA 95117 - (408) 604-0092 - View Map
- LNA Insurance Agency Inc
999 Story Rd - San Jose, CA 95122 - (408) 280-5815 - View Map
- Filice Insurance Agency
738 N 1st St - San Jose, CA 95112 - (408) 350-5700 - View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents work for only one company and examples are AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents are trained well on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years mainly due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below are exclusive agents in San Jose that are able to give price quotes.
- Gary Sanchez - State Farm Insurance Agent
2053 Lincoln Ave a - San Jose, CA 95125 - (408) 269-5001 - View Map
- Nhut Ho - State Farm Insurance Agent
2048 Tully Rd - San Jose, CA 95122 - (408) 223-6163 - View Map
- Kathy Barber - State Farm Insurance Agent
5615 Cottle Rd - San Jose, CA 95123 - (408) 365-7268 - View Map
Selecting a insurance agency requires more thought than just the price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When quoting and choosing proper insurance coverage, there really isn't a cookie cutter policy. Every insured's situation is different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation might need an agent's assistance.
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in California?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
If you're not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
More effort can pay off
Budget-conscious Honda HR-V insurance is definitely available both online as well as from independent agents in San Jose, and you should compare rates from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies work with local independent agents.
When you buy San Jose auto insurance online, it's not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
Much more information about auto insurance in California is available below:
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a School Permit in San Jose? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in San Jose? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Jose Auto Insurance for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)